Monday, August 22, 2011

Wow...

It's been seven days since I last blogged - Wow! :P

We've been home for 10 days now - that was fast! Here's some random stuff that's been going on:

1. It's been hard to take in and reconcile the stark contrast of the Philippines and here [which I wrote about a bit here.] but it's also been pretty easy to jump back into life, North American life. My laptop, my bed, my house, my friends & family, laundry, chores, normal things. But I still don't want to forget.

2. The rest of my fam doesn't want to forget either, and perhaps that's why God sent a lady to us in the Wal-Mart parking lot, carrying a baby, her sign read, "Please Help... Four Kids... Need money for food and rent. God Bless You." Her english was broken, and we found out that she was a new immigrant to Canada. I don't know what her situation is, but we bought her groceries and diapers and a meal at McDonalds and gave her information about a local organization that helps newcomers. No, God's not letting us forget.

3. Canadians woke up to sad news this morning: Leader of the opposition party in parliament, Jack Layton, died of cancer at age 61. I think today, everyone in Canada agrees, whether they agreed with his leadership or not, he was an optimistic voice for the underprivileged, and truly a great loss to Canada. His words inspire me:

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." -Jack Layton

4. With "changing the world" in mind, I've yet to blog about the drought in the horn of Africa. The devastation is terrible to see... Please, please, please consider donating to Samaritan's Purse Canada here! Every penny counts! Thanks!

5. On a lighter note, I spent the day at the Canadian National Exibition the other day [AKA the CNE or the Ex], and that donut burger is disgusting. Basically, it's a burger, but instead of using a burger bun, they use two donuts. :S No, I did not try it. But all the other food was so good. Bad-for-you good. ;P And the shows, as usual, were pretty legit.

That's pretty much it. For those of you who have already started school [Bad word! ;)], hope your first week went well! For those of you still on summer vacay like me, enjoy the last of it! :)

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...