Monday, February 18, 2013

Birthday Blessings & Prayers

It took these tiny petite-girl lungs three breaths to blow out sixteen candles.



What did I wish for?

Well, maybe I forgot to make a wish right at that exact moment, 'cause I was concentrating too hard on blowing out the candles, but God takes prayers anytime.



And my birthday prayer? It's this:

Lord, bless me with... 
... a restless discomfort about easy answers, half-truths and superficial relationships, so that I may seek truth boldly and love deep within my heart. 
... holy anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that I may tirelessly work for justice, freedom, and peace among all people. 
... the gift of tears to shed with those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, or the loss of all that they cherish, so that I may reach out my hand to comfort them and transform their pain into joy. 
... enough foolishness to believe that I really CAN make a difference in this world, so that I am able, with Your grace, to do what others claim cannot be done. 
~ Benedictine Blessing by Sr. Ruth Fox

Maybe I could be foolish enough to change the world? With the help of some friends?

And so I say don't buy me anything for my birthday (please, I have too much!), but instead bless some other 16-year-olds by purchasing a Street Kid Gift in my honour.

I'm angry that 16-year-olds like me don't have a home, and I'm foolish enough to believe my birthday gifts could make a difference.

But the crazy thing is... maybe they will? Because the amazing people I'm blessed to have in my life (more on them in a bit) rally together, and this is what comes back to me:

- 99 nutritious meals
- 24 days of clean clothes
- 24 nights in a warm bed
- 3 kids receiving counselling, support or spiritual comfort
- 6 kids receiving life skills or job training

And I smile... way too blessed.

Blessed because God's grace takes my foolishness and turns it into ninety-nine times that a street kids will enjoy a meal, and twenty-four times that a street kids will sleep in a warm bed, and 3 kids with some much needed support and comfort (all at this amazing place called Covenant House Toronto, by the way!), and more

And I'm sinking in this ocean of grace.





I thought I'd just take a moment to say something.

I am so. very. thankful. for each of you in my life.

You who inspire me. Encourage me. Invest in me. Love me. Laugh with me. Serve with me. Serve me. Show me God's grace and love.

Thank you.

30 people were there to celebrate with me today, but to all you who weren't (because of conflicts, distance, or simply because we can't break the fire code in there.) you were in my heart.

And I say "thank you" a lot, and I say "it means a lot" a lot, but please know I really mean it.


From the bottom of my heart, each of you in my life are gifts from God. Each of you reflects Jesus to me and I thank God for all of you.

With that being said, I'm so excited for what 16 holds [so far, though, it's not so different from 15, except I got a lot of Facebook notifications. ;)]!

I'm excited for this journey and I'd appreciate continued prayers.

Thankful for birthday blessings today! ❤

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!! Your words remind me of one of my favorite songs- Still That Girl by Britt Nicole :) You can change the world, and you already have. Florialyn, Bell Bradley, Rochelle, Junior, Fredric, Annu, Moses, and Happyness- all their lives have been changed because of you! :)
    God's blessing on your 16th year

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...