Friday, July 1, 2011

July 1

HAPPY CANADA DAY!

Today is Canada's 144th birthday. No, not as old as our next door neighbours, but still. ;)

I am beyond blessed to live in this amazing [and free!] country. Really, I couldn't ask for anything better. Best country ever, though I might be slightly biased.

And, in the spirit of Canada Day, I thought I'd bust some widely believed myths about Canada, some are a joke, some I'm being dead serious:

Myth: We ride polar bears to school and work and everywhere else.
Truth: Okay, so I'd actually like to find someone that legit believes this myth is true. But it's just a joke among Canadians that Americans think we have polar bears instead of cars. We don't. I've seen a polar bear in real life only a few times... At the zoo.

Myth: It never goes above freezing here.
Truth: If that was true I would not be saying how great of a country it is. Sure, our winters are cold, but our summers are just as hot [sometimes hotter!] than in the USA.

Myth: We live in igloos.
Truth: I've never seen an igloo up close before.

Myth: We have pet beavers.
Truth: No. Just no.

Myth: We eat raw seal meat.
Truth: All the animal rights activists just cringed. I've never eaten seal. Ever. Except for those animal crackers, I've never eaten a seal. Ever. That's.... Ew.

Myth: We say "Eh?" at the end of every sentence.
Truth: This one is actually partly true. Here's a conversation among two Canadians: ;)
Canadian #1: You know what's funny?
Canadian #2: What?
Canadian #1: People think the we say "Eh!" at the end of every sentence!
Canadian #2: Haha! I know, eh?
I'll be the first to admit it: I am a Canadian, and I say "Eh," just not at the end of every sentence.

Myth: We all speak French.
Truth: You're reading this blog in english, so no, this is not true. Although, French is our other national language and all kids are required to take French class from grade 4 to grade 9 [with the option of French immersion, which is all French, all year, grade 1-12, and the option to take a french class past grade 9.] and just over 20% of Canadians speak French as their first language.

Thanks for reading! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...