Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Cross

I knew.
Ever since I was 4 years old and accepted Jesus into my life, I knew that Jesus died on the cross to save me from my sins, then rose from the dead three days later.
If you're like me, and grew up in a Christian home, you might relate to me. You've known all your life. It became and expression, of sorts. "Jesus died on the cross to save me and everyone in the world from their sins." I became immune to it, didn't think about how he suffered. Maybe you, too.
We forget how actually gruesome, painful, and horrifying Jesus' death was. We don't think about it. Perhaps it's even softened up a bit for us.
But his death is not to be taken lightly. I grew up thinking it didn't really hurt Jesus, just a little, like, you know, the nails... pinched him. And anyways, he came back to life after. It didn't hurt. Well, I got news.
It HURT. Jesus' death, like any other death, hurt. It was the most painful death of all. Crucifixion.
I don't think I really, truly fathomed this until last Easter, when my family watched movie The Passion of the Christ. This movie is one you can't ever forget. It brought me to real, deep tears. Jesus suffered all that for us. Because of my sins. He loves us that much.
It's one thing to hear about his death, and a whole different thing to see it play across a screen. To see even a little taste of it. It will change you forever. I'd encourage all to watch it.
This Easter, don't just know in your head. Really know, deep in you heart. Feel it. Believe. Don't forget, but really truly, remember and think about it.
Jesus loves you so much.
So much that he gave his life for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...